Dr. Georges AL-HAJJ
General & Obesity Surgery – Laparoscopy
Dr. AL-HAJJ received the MEDICAL DOCTOR diploma from St Joseph Medical School Beirut in 1985, he also obtained from University of Paris V,VI,XI 4 diplomas in: GENERAL SURGERY (1991), LAPAROSCOPIC SURGERY (1992), ABDOMINO PELVIC SURGICAL ANATOMY (1993) and HEPATO BILIARY SURGERY AND LIVER (1993).
Dr. AL-HAJJ has completed his training in General and Bariatric Surgery in Paris. He has been practicing General and Laparoscopic Surgery since 1991. Since 1999, Dr. AL HAJJ has performed more than one thousand successful laparoscopic procedure including Gastric BYPASS, Mini BYPASS, Sleeve Gastrectomy, Gastric Banding and Gastric Plication.
He is a member in the International Federation of the Surgery of Obesity (IFSO) since 1998, member in the French Association of Surgery (AFC) since 1996, member of the French Association of Laparoscopic Surgery since 1996, member of the Lebanese Society of General Surgery (SLCG) since 1998 and a member of the Lebanese Society of Oncologic Surgery since 2001.
Dr. AL-HAJJ is currently the Medical Director in the Middle East Institute Of health Hospital (MEIH) and the Program Director of The Obesity & Weight Control Center (COCP) in Bsalim – Lebanon.
With over 15 years of experience in the bariatric field, Dr. AL HAJJ understands the life-changing impact Bariatric Surgery can have on a patient, "Patients change their complete way of life when they go through this procedure". He believes that Weight loss surgery is not just an operation; it is a life-long commitment the patient makes; that is why he developed a multi-disciplinary program for obesity treatment. He participated in the publication of several articles about Obesity and his latest articles in Bariatric surgery were:
- Sleeve Gastrectomy Surgical Assistive Instrument for Accurate Remnant Stomach Volume (Transaction of the ASME, Journal of Medical Devices, Vol. 4, Iss. 2, pp. 025001-1 to 025001-10, June 2010);
- The optimal management of fistulas in laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy (Poster in IFSO 2011- Hamburg);
- Benefits of Staple Line reinforcement with PVDS to decrease the rate of gastric leak following Sleeve Gastrectomy (Oral Presentation in IFSO 2012- Barcelona/ Spain);
- Fistulas In Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy- A new classification for a better management (Oral Presentation in IFSO 2013 – Istanbul/ Turkey);
- Preventing Staple-Line Leak in Sleeve Gastrectomy: Reinforcement with Bovine Pericardium vs Oversewing – Article published in the Journal of Obesity Surgery, November 2013 (Obes Surg. 2013 Nov;23(11):1915-21. doi: 10.1007/s11695-013-1062-4);
- The optimal management of fistulas in laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy (Poster in IFSO 2014- Montreal);
- Gastric Perforation after Gastric Plication (Poster in IFSO 2014 - Montreal)
- Gastro-Esophageal Cancer after Gastric Bypass (Poster in IFSO-EC 2016 – Gothenburg)
- Fistula following Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy: A new Classification and Algorithm for Optimal Management (accepted for publication in the Journal of Obesity Surgery);
Lecturer at local and international congresses
LSGS, IFSO-Lebanese Chapter, AFC, IFSO.
All these articles were prepared based on COCP experience and other referred cases admitted to the centre.